Fitness resolutions are extremely popular with the new year. Gyms will be crowded, running and hiking trails will be filled, and the number of people who enter races will increase significantly in the month of January. Those who are trying to get back into running this new year should consider Runner’s World latest article on the top marathons for 2015! While marathons are intimidating, this list is perfect for those who are up for the challenge but will need a little guidance on which race is best for them.
- Mississippi Blues Marathon- If you love a small crowd and blues music, this is the race for you. There are 8-10 music stops on the course as well as live music for all runners at the finish line. This is a great race to travel for, take in some of the of the music history and have fun with a bar crawl complementary for all runners!
- New Jersey Marathon- Cool winds and mild temperatures make this marathon appealing to all runners. It includes stretches along the boardwalk as well as through some small neighborhoods including Bruce Springsteen’s! Also a great small event for new marathoners, usually only 100-150 participants.
- Grandma’s Marathon- This race, like NJ will include some great views along the water however it covers multiple scenery options for runners. Runners will travel along Lake Superior, through wooded areas, and finish in the city of Duluth, MN where the crowd picks up for the end of the race.
- NYC Marathon- This race is the heavy hitter, over 50,000 runners come out every year to run the streets of NYC. The crowd support is amazing through all five boroughs and while the temperatures can be a bit inconsistent, you will never be alone between fellow runners and over a million spectators.
- Southernmost Marathon- A nice small event, about 225 runners, located in Key West, FL, is a guaranteed good time at the finish line. You will mostly run along the Atlantic in the beautifully Florida Keys finishing at the Rum Barrel where the party continues for all runners at one of the many bars/restaurants in the area.
For a full list and some more details involving dates and how to sign up visit http://www.runnersworld.com/photos/10-editor-approved-marathons-for-2015